Custom Search

Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Challenge

If you have read my other blogs, you would know that I was recently diagnosed with migraines. With that comes medication, which in turn means possible side effects. They prescribed Elavil for me and the main side effect I have noticed is a ravenous appetite. Have I gained weight because of this? The answer is no. But being aware of a medications side effects can be detrimental to your wellbeing. I had read up on Elavil as soon as it was prescribed and knew that it was a side effect, so I began to be proactive.

I have been substituting 1-2 meals a day for a Slim Fast Optima shake along with a measured portion for my 3rd meal, and healthy snacks (watermelon, etc)

I also make sure I walk at least 4-5 days a week to keep my metabolism going. I have been on Elavil now for about 3-4 months and this method has been easy to encorporate into my lifestyle since I was already exercising, eating right, etc.

And notice I said I WALK. Sometimes I do run, but I've found that walking is just as effective. I keep a fast pace and usually walk at least 30-40 minutes.

I weigh 121 pounds and walking at 2 miles per hour for about 30 minutes, I burn 69 calories.

To find out how many calories you burn walking, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Hate medicines... I hate side-effects they cause. I suggest you to look into Oriental medicine(Chinese, Indian) for migraines.

Also if you do some pranayama (breathing exercises of yoga), you'll find lot of relief from them.

I share 3 breathing techniques which helped me cure my sinus problems.
http://www.10minutesonly.com/thousand.html

PS: Don't worry, there aren't any rituals involved with breathing techniques, They'll just teach you how to breath properly

Sunny said...

Thanks for the input. I'm not too fond of medication either. This one is just working so well for me, it's just not a good enough reason to stop it.

I just strongly suggest to anyone that is prescribed medication, to inform yourself of all side effects so you can discuss them with your doctor and if a change should or shouldn't be made.